Friday, August 11, 2006

Susan's thoughts

Hi all! I haven't had a chance to really get an email out and for that I am sorry. The internet access here is a little sketchy and we haven't had a lot of down time. On the whole, I can say that I have been truly overwhelmed. Overwhelmed as I walked in and saw all these beautiful babies lined up in chairs, overwhelmed with the needs the orphanage has and how grateful they are for any small thing, but most of all, overwhelmed with the spirit and unity of this team. We have brought people from all over the US and yet, it seems like one huge family.

The children are beautiful and well cared for. But it is so hard to see so many and know that the nannies, who truly do a great job, only have so many hands. These little ones are so thirsty for attention and it hurts to think how they will react when we are gone and all the extra arms aren't there. Several of us have "favorites" even though we tried not to. Derek has "Kay-Kay" - at least that is how they say her name. He is so attached to this baby and seeks her out first thing. She smiles and really interacts with him. He told me tonight that if it was possible to take her home with him now, he would want to. I hope when we leave tomorrow, he will not be too crushed.

Tomorrow is the birthday party - mainly for us and the staff I guess since all the babies are really too young. But it is a time for us to say our goodbyes and I know it will be hard for all of us. I think a part of my heart will always be left here in Fengdu.

Tonight we will take the extra crafts we have and go out and do a street type ministry. The kids and families are so taken with us "Americans" and so it is easy to hand out candy, do face painting, take pictures, and just show that we care. The children that are with us are so good at this!

I guess that is all for now! We will post more as we can but since we will be leaving on Sunday and will be on a boat for several days, we probably won't get to do too much more until Shanghai. For my friends and family - thank you for your prayers - we definitely feel them!

Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home